Added on 24 Jan 2018,
last edited by »biroto-Redaktion« on 12 Apr 2018
Please wait - map data are loading
Type of sights
Name and address
Aalborg is the largest city in North Jutland, Denmark. Its population, as of 2016, is 134,672, making it the fourth largest city in Denmark.
Aalborg is the capital and largest city in the region of North Jutland. A university town and a regional centre for education. It has a long history as an industrial and port town with an international airport that also serves Copenhagen.
Aalborg is an old town with many preserved buildings and important prehistoric relics, but also thriving cultural life with several institutions of national importance. The Tourist Information of Aalborg has its headquarters in Nordkraft, a culture centre at the harbourfront.
- ⊙Aalborghus Castle (Aalborghus Slot), Slotspladsen 1. A half-timbered castle built by King Christian III in 1539 - 1555 initially as a fortification. Soon it became the seat of the king's provincial governors in Northern Jutland, and then started to be used by the State County for taxes. All that remains today of the original castle is the east wing, the rest was constructed centuries later. There is no public access to the buildings but the courtyard is open for everybody free of charge. Besides, it's possible to visit the castle’s dungeon (1 May - 31 October Mon-Fri 8:00-15:00) and underground casemates (daily 8:00 - 21:00).
- ⊙Aalborg Tower (Aalborgtårnet), Søndre Skovvej 12, ☎ +45 98 770511. 11:00 - 17:00. 54.9 metre tall observation tower built of lattice steel in 1933. The tower is built on a hill, providing a total height of 105 metres above sea level. The tower has a restaurant on the top. Adult 40 kr, children (3-11 years) 30 kr.
- ⊙Aalborg Townhall, Gammel Torv 2. Built in 1759 and served as city hall until 1912. Now is only used for wedding ceremonies and representative purposes. (updated Nov 2017)
- ⊙Budolfi Church. The Lutheran cathedral in Aalborg.
- ⊙Jens Bangs Stenhus, Østerågade 9. Beautiful renaissance house, built in 1624 by the merchant Jens Bang.
- ⊙Jørgen Olufsens House, Østerågade 25. Well-preserved renaissance house from 1616 by the merchant Jørgen Olufsen.
- ⊙Royal Taxhouse, Strandvejen 1. Built in 1902 representing national romantic architecture. In 2005, it was brought back to its original style. Next to the house is a musical fountain, during summer at 12:00, 15:00, 18:00 and 21:00 Händel's Water Music accompanise the splashing water.
- ⊙KUNSTEN Museum of Modern Art Aalborg, Kong Christians Allé 50, ☎ +45 99 824100. Tue-Sun 10-17, Wed 10-21. Adult 95 kr, student 50 kr, children up to 18 years free. (updated Nov 2017)
- ⊙Gråbrødrekloster Museum, Algade 19, ☎ +45 99 317400. Tue - Sat 10:00 - 16:00. Underground museum 3 m below Algade street. It depicts the history of the Franciscan monastery as well as the market place, the unknown churches and the city houses. 40 per lift load (max. 250 kg), Admission by self-service via the lift tower by the department store "Salling", Algade. (updated Nov 2017)
- ⊙Historical Museum, Algade 48, ☎ +45 99 317400. Tue - Sat 10:00 – 17:00. Exhibition is rather small and of limited value. Adults 40 kr, students 30 kr, children free. (updated Nov 2017)
The harbourfront has been renewed and is now centre for culture and education. The entire area offers an inspiring city walk in itself.
- ⊙Utzon Centre, Slotspladsen 4, ☎ +45 76 905000. Tu-Su 10:00-17:00. A cultural centre exhibiting art, architecture and design. Focuses on Jørgen Utzon's own work and other work somehow related to him. Also has a restaurant. Adult 80 kr, students 40 kr, children under 18 years free. (updated Nov 2017)
- ⊙Elbjørn, Strandvejen 6B. Icebreaker now working as a restaurant and culture ship at the Aalborg harbour. It has a restaurant, a bar, glass workshop, and a museum.
Information about copyright
Rights characteristic / license
by-sa: CREATIVE COMMONS Attribution-ShareAlike
Link to the description of the license
Input taken over from:
Wikivoyage contributors, 'Aalborg', Wikivoyage, The FREE worldwide travel guide that anyone can edit, 20 November 2017, 03:31 UTC, <https://en.wikivoyage.org/w/index.php?title=Aalborg&oldid=3332075> [accessed 24 January 2018]
taken over / edited on
24 Jan 2018 - 12 Apr 2018
taken over / edited by