Added on 07 Dec 2014,
last edited by »biroto-Redaktion« on 25 Dec 2017
Please wait - map data are loading
Type of sights
Name and address
Saluzzo (Italian pronunciation: [saˈluttso]) is a town in the province of Cuneo, Piedmont region, Italy.
The city of Saluzzo is built on a hill overlooking a vast, well-cultivated plain. Iron, lead, silver, marble, slate etc. are found in the surrounding mountains. It has a population of approximately 17,000.
Saluzzo is a former principality and has a picturesque old town with castle and high city tower and numerous historic palaces.
- ⊙ The Cathedral (1491–1501), in Lombard-Gothic style. The façade is decorated with rose-windows, frescoes (almost totally faded) and statues. The interior contains a magnificent Baroque high altar, plus a 16th-century terracotta group portraying the Deposition, ad Adoration of the Shepherds by Sebastiano Ricci.
- ⊙ The church of St. Bernard, formerly belonging to the Conventuals, has interesting tombs of the counts della Torre.
- ⊙ The Dominican church of San Giovanni, begun in 1330 in Gothic style and completed in 1504 with Bramantesque influences. It has a noteworthy Gothic façade. The apse, from 1504, houses a Funerary Chapel of Ludovico II, work by Antoine Le Moiturier (1425–74) covered with green stone and characterized by an elegant play of arches and sculptures. The sepulchre of Ludovico II is a Renaissance work by Benedetto Briosco. Annexed are the Gothic cloister and the Capitular Hall with the Mausoleum of a vicar-general of the marquisate, Galeazzo Cavassa di Carmagnola, a Renaissance work by Matteo Sanmicheli.
- ⊙ The Casa Cavassa, site of the civic museuam and rebuilt with a typical Renaissance interior. Tel. +39 0175 46710
- The church of ⊙ St. Augustine is also worthy of note.
- ⊙ The present Town hall is the former Jesuit College, while the ⊙ older one (1462), with a bold tower, is utilized by the Court of Assizes. The 16th century Villa Belvedere has elegant rooms with late-Renaissance decorations.
- ⊙ Castello dei Marchesi - La Castiglia
Inside the range of 4 km:
Inside the range of 4 km:
Information about copyright
Rights characteristic / license
by-sa: CREATIVE COMMONS Attribution-ShareAlike
Link to the description of the license
Input taken over from:
Wikipedia contributors, 'Saluzzo', Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 3 September 2014, 07:49 UTC, <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Saluzzo&oldid=623975317> [accessed 7 December 2014]
taken over / edited on
07 Dec 2014 - 25 Dec 2017
taken over / edited by